Saurik, the creator of Cydia Impactor recently updated his utility to address the SSL verification error that users saw when they tried to re-jailbreak the Yalu app.
But that’s not all…
When Impactor re-opened itself after you download the new version, there is now an option called “install Cydia Extender.” Saurik tweeted out about this new feature, but no description was included except for saying
1) Cydia Extender is not the thing you think it is. 2) Cydia Extender apparently also isn’t the thing I thought it was.
via a comment on the r/Jailbreak subreddit.
So what’s Cydia Extender?
Cydia Extender was introduced to help iOS users auto-sign their applications without having to use the computer. As you may know, every seven days, an app expires, and you have to re-sign it by connecting your iPhone or iPad to the computer and then use Cydia Impactor to sign it.
This can be a hassle for most of us, therefore, having the ability to auto-sign or resign the app directly on the device is much better. Although that’s the feature that Cydia Extender will provide, Saurik has noted that it will only work if you have a paid Apple Developer account.
Now that all the details have been revealed, it’s important to let you guys know the following:
- A paid developer account will cost you $99 a year
- When you sideload an .IPA file using Xcode with your paid account, it will last for a whole year
This is why Saurik claimed that Cydia Extender wasn’t the tool he thought it would be.
But here is the good news. Someone on Reddit has found a way to get the Extender feature without purchasing a developer account from Apple.
How to Install Cydia Extender on your iOS
- Open Cydia Impactor on your computer
- You will be prompted to update the software
- Find the impactor.dat file
- Rename it to impactor.zip (changing the extension)
- Install the Extender IPA file to your device
I hope that work and we will continue to update this post if there is an easier way to install Cydia Extender without having to pay a single dime.
In case you can’t find your impactor.dat file or can’t convert it, then try this pre-built extender.ipa.
Earlier, I did receive a popup that says, “Error provision.cpp71…The ‘Network Extensions’ feature is only available to users enrolled in Apple Developer Program…”.
Comment below if you have any trouble.