Strava Beacon is now available for free to all users. Previously, Beacon was only obtainable by Strava Premium members.
Beacon is a great feature that allows you to share your current location with family members or friends. They can track your exact location until you’re done with your activity.
This blog post includes everything you need to know about the Strava Beacon feature and how to activate it.
What is Strava Beacon
Strava Beacon is a free feature that lets you share your real-time location with friends and family. A unique URL will be generated. You can share this URL via text messages.
How to Activate Strava Beacon on your iPhone
- Tap the Record button at the bottom of your Strava app.
- Tap the Beacon icon and toggle to ON.
- Tap Add Safety Contacts. You can share your location with up to 3 individuals in your Contact list.
- Select the Send Beacon Text button on your map.
- Start your activity and your trusted contact(s) will be able to see your location in real-time.
Why is Strava Beacon not working?
Strava Beacon will not work without cellular service. Be sure to activate it on your iPhone or Apple Watch. If you go to a zone with no service, Strava Beacon will stop updating your location.
Also, airplane mode will prevent Beacon from working properly. Make sure this airplane mode is disabled on your device.
How often does Beacon update my location?
Beacon should update your location in real-time. In poor service area, Beacon should update about every 10-15 seconds.