Let’s be clear about one thing: WhatsApp doesn’t have an official app for the Apple Watch. Just because WhatsApp is running on your iPhone does not mean you can start messaging your WhatsApp contacts from the watch.
You will need to jump through a few hoops to send and receive WhatsApp messages on your Apple Watch.
Solution #1: Reply to incoming WhatsApp messages
With this method, you can at least respond to any incoming WhatsApp messages that you receive right on your Apple Watch.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Notifications > WhatsApp Messenger
- Enable Allow Notifications and Show in Notification Center
- Badge App Icon and Sounds are optional
- Go back to your home screen and open the Watch app
- Navigate to My Watch > Notifications
- Scroll down through the list of apps until you find WhatsApp
- Toggle on the button next to it
I understand that this method doesn’t come close to a fully supported WhatsApp app on the Apple Watch. However, being able to reply to incoming WhatsApp texts is better than nothing.
Solution #2: Chatify for WhatsApp
Chatify for WhatsApp is not an official WhatsApp application. It is a third party app, so you need to be cautious when using it.
It requires iOS 9.3 and watchOS 3.0 or later.
To set up Chatify:
- Make sure your Apple Watch is paired with your iPhone, and it is updated to the latest version
- Log in to WhatsApp on your iPhone
- Download Chatify on your iPhone
- Open the app on your Apple Watch once it is downloaded
- You will then receive a QR code that you will need to scan to use WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to Settings > WhatsApp Web/Desktop > Scan QR Code
- Once the code is scanned, WhatsApp will appear on your Apple Watch, and you can start sending replies straight from your watch
Solution #3: WatchChat 2
WatchChat was one of the first apps that allowed you to send and receive WhatsApp messages on your Apple Watch.
WatchChat 2 gives you access to all of your WhatsApp chats, including group chats. You can reply to messages, send voice messages, use different keyboard layouts, view pictures and use the zoom feature, listen to voice messages, customize quick replies and chat font size, and even start a new chat directly from your Apple Watch.
To get started with WatchChat:
- Open the app on your Apple Watch
- Open WhatsApp
- Go to Settings in WhatsApp > WhatsApp Web/Desktop > Scan QR code
- Scan the code, and it will appear on your Apple Watch within 30 seconds
Again, this is a third party app, so you want to proceed with caution. This app requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 3.0 or later.